I like to make double batches of pancakes or waffles early on Saturday mornings and freeze the remaining waffles and pancakes for use on busier weekday mornings. I love trying different flavors and always try to increase the fiber content by adding flaxseed meal, chia or hemp seeds. The family gets to wake up to fresh made waffles, such a nice way to start a Saturday!
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup garbanzo bean flour
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed (flax meal)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of xantham gum
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup, agave nectar or honey
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups of almond, rice or hemp milk (vanilla flavor is an option)
- 2 tablespoons of hemp or chia seeds
- Non-stick spray, or melted coconut oil
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray or brush melted coconut oil with a heat tolerant pastry brush.
- Mix the flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of warm water and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Turn on the waffle iron and set at desired heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, flax meal, baking powder, xantham gum, cinnamon, salt and chia or hemp seeds.
- In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup, agave or honey, vanilla, applesauce, and non-dairy milk. Slowly mix half of the liquid into the dry ingredients, stirring continuously, and the rest 1/2 cup at time, mix in more non-dairy milk to desired thickness. Mix until no lumps remain.
- On your griddle, begin to cook the waffle, depending on the type of waffle iron you have either a ¼ to a ½ of a cup in the section of the iron at time.
- Follow the directions for the waffle iron, mine beeps when the waffles are done.
- Remove from the iron, and serve.
- Repeat with remaining batter, spray the iron with more non-stick spray or brush with melted coconut oil in between batches or as needed.
- Toppings can include: butter with warm maple syrup, butter and jam, almond butter and mini chocolate chips. Enjoy!