By using a chickpeas and making a puree, this gives the dish a savory protein boost.
• 1- 9 to 10 ounce box of gluten free lasagna noodles.
• 2 tsp. of olive oil
• 1 -24 oz. jar of pasta sauce
• 10 oz. pkg. of vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
• 2 tsp. olive oil
• 1 medium onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
• 1/3 cup of vegetable broth
• 1 bunch of fresh kale
Garbanzo Bean Layer
• 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained
• ¼ cup of water
• ½ tsp. of salt
• 2 Tablespoons of tahini
• ¼ cup nutritional yeast
• 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
1. Prepare the Lasagna noodles according to package directions. If boiling is needed toss the cooked noodles with 2 tsp. of olive oil set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic in oil 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden. Add kale and vegetable broth, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted.
3. Open and drain the can of garbanzo beans, add to food processor, along with the salt, tahini, lemon juice and water. Purée until mixture is thick and smooth.
4. Spread one-third of the pasta sauce on the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Cover with one-third of noodles (4 or 5 noodles), then half of the garbanzo bean puree, half of the kale saute, and sprinkle with one third of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers one more time. Top with remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
5. Cover lasagna with foil. This can be make up to a day ahead and refrigerated before being baked for 30 minutes, or until bubbling hot. Uncover, and bake 15 to 20 minutes more, or until noodles are tender and topping is melted. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.